Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deploy ASP.NET app: website vs virtual directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkb17

Programmer
Nov 27, 2000
US
Hello.

I have a question regarding deploying an asp.net web application. Generally, I've had to deploy an application and I specify the virtual directory to which to deploy to. Now, I am deploying to a hosted server where there are a series of hosted websites. The application I built will be the default public site\application for this company.

From IIS, this site is listed as My question is: how do I deploy to a website vs virtual directory? What are the different steps involved in this type of deployment?

thanks in advance

Jim

You can just copy the files into the main directory. Make sure to copy the bin folder and the web.config file. That should be it. I have done this several times with no problems.

Vincent Wright
Web Developer
NSI Software, Inc.

I have tried simply copying the files into the root of a website myself, but have been unsuccesful. the site displays fine, except I have the following code that does not recognize the website as an application:

Request.ApplicationPath

This returns nothing when I just put my files at the root.
so my question is:
how can I turn my website into an application or virtual directory?

any thoughts?

======================================
"I wish that I may never think the smiles of the great and powerful a sufficient inducement to turn aside from the straight path of honesty and the convictions of my own mind."
-David Ricardo, classical economist
======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back