Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dependencies on Summary Tasks impacting Critical Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaney

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2005
GB
Can you please confirm that dependencies should not be set up on summary tasks as this can impact the critical path?

Is this correct that dependencies should be set up against individual tasks or milestones only and not summary tasks?

I've never seen that happen *because* summary tasks were used. I have seen some issues with the display of Critical path tasks in the Gantt chart but the tasks were still identified as Critical Path tasks in the left-hand grid portion.

I never (well *almost* never) link Summary tasks because inevitably, when I do, someone points out that a particular task (which makes sense as being part of the group of tasks under a summary task) needs to start earlier than all the other tasks. Then I have to go back and re-jig a bunch of tasks/links/lags.

thanks for your response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back