Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Denying send as permission for mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

argyle811

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2007
GB
Hi,

I hope someone can help as this is driving me around the bend! I need to be able to deny the send as permission for a mailbox to all other users. I am testing it with my own user account, but its not working, I can still send email as the other user. I have gone into the other users account in ADUC, and added my account to the ACL, set deny 'send as'. I have also done this for all the groups to which I belong. I have logged off and back on to no effect and rebooted for good measure but still no joy. Does anyone know why it is still letting me send emails as the other user? Using Exchange Server 2003 with Outlook 2003. Thanks for any ideas,
Chris

An update to this: I have denied myself full mailbox access but it is still allowing me to send as the other account after a reboot.
Even stranger, Ive just gone back into the security tab for the other user in ADUC, and the deny settings that I set earlier for send as have been reset to allow all by themselves, within about five mins of me doing it (there are no other administrators to do this). Anyone know how this could happen?

Just for reference in case anyone else is looking for an answer to the same problem, eventually I discovered what was causing the problem: The user I was sending email on behalf of using send as was a member of the administrators group. Apparently members of the administrators group mailbox security settings are protected, so any changes I was making (such as setting deny send as permission) were being rolled back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back