Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Deny Folder Move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agentstarks

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2003
US
Is there any way through permissions or GPO to deny the ability to move or rename folders? Renaming would be alright, but sometimes users will accidentally drag and drop project folders inside other projects and don't realize it. The users would still need ability to read/write/create and delete directories inside of the project folders. Is there any way to do this?

By going to the Advanced tab in the properties (Security Tab)of a folder (You get to the Access Control window) you can choose users and/or groups and assign them very specific rights like read and/or write and/or create. I don't see items pertaining directly to the moving of folders
but some rights listed cover this feature.

I am not certain exactly which of these you should or should not assign in order to prevent users from moving folders but by assigning read/write and create and testing it, you should be able to achieve positive results.

Let me know how it turns out...

Simon

I've tried a lot of different configurations with the special permissions but haven't been able to achieve the desired result. Anyone know of another way to get this done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back