Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Denatured Alcohol? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpearson

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
The A+ manual describes using Denatured Alcohol for cleaning contacts such as RAM sticks.What is this?Where do I get it?Is there an ample alternative?

Denatured ethyl alcohol is the drinking alcohol with a denaturant(poison) added to render it undrinkable. I would not use this, I use a regular pencil eraser and "carefully" polish the contacts. I have used this process successfully for many years.

Denatured alcohol should be available at any paint store, most hardware stores or even the paint department at Walmart (if you have one of those close).

I would somewhat question the use of denatured alcohol, I would think it a bit harsh for that use. I use high quality isopropyl (rubbing alcohol). Look for at least a 90% version.

I have a bottle of 100% Isopropyl alcohol at home that I use and it always did a fine job. I am sure 90% would work well too since getting 100% is rough.

Back in the college days, it was nice to have friends in the chemistry department. [bigsmile]

Cheers!

Thanks guys.I wonder why CompTIA stresses this so much.And they say do not use erasers.I trust you guys.

they stress because some erasers leave little bittie residues on the contacts (which isn't quite true when you use a pure rubber eraser)...

go to the local drug store and get yourself a number two pencil with an eraser aswell as rubbing alcohol with at least 90% like mentioned before, since it is good for cleaning all sorts of things around the comp and monitor...

BEN

PS - Edemiere too true too true... *BG*

Years ago in a hand soldering class that was taught by a NASA Quality control manager, he recommened using a white eraser (like the kind you find on some pens) vs. the red pencil variety. The red type apparently has some oil in its makeup.

The memory sticks shine up find with pants legs of jeans or kacki. And from the good old days, the pink pearl eraser takes the contamination off.
The other problem with erasers is the possibility of taking off the plating.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back