Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demoting Domain Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcrider

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2006
US
Hi gang.

We've been having problems with servrs in multiple locations communicating with each other. We've just about got it all hammered out, but we have one server that doesn't want to play fair. It is not connected to the network right now and we want to demote it from a domain controller and promote it again. The problem is that it still has remnants of another DC that it keeps trying to recognize. I've tried using the ntdsutil, but it won't allow me to demote it as it believe it is not the last DC in the forest. Is there anyway to demote it without connecting it back to the network? I'm afraid to becuase it will try to communicate with the other servers and start causing problems again.

Why not just do a fresh install of the OS on it?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

davetoo,

Thought I responded yesterday, but I guess it didn't post.

Anyway, the box in question has so really important applications that are a beast to re-install, so we are reserving a re-install as a last resort. I've tried some other things, but it keeps looking for a server that is no longer part of the domain either. Is there at least a way to demote the other server so as to demote the server in question?

OK, I got the machine removed using the dc promo /forceremoval command. Now I need to remove it from the network as far as the other servers are concerned. Meaning that the others are still trying to communicate with the server no longer in the domain. It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to clean up all the loose ends. Any ideas?

58 sniper,

Saw that one. Problem is that the server is not connected to the domain and without a connection, connect to server will not work. I can't rejoin it as is now because I get a message saying that it already exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back