Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

demoting dc to memeber server losing ntfs permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarchi

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2002
IT
Hi
i'm demoting my dc to memeber server.
It's store all user data with ntfs permissions.
Just wanna to be sure that demoting my dc, the memebr server will keep all ntfs permissions
is it true?

:eek:)
thanks
Max

With a single dc...
When you demote, you loose users, passwords and ntfs settings but you data remains.

true, if it is the last domain controller you effectively will lose your domain, and all the users and groups in it. Which means all your access control lists on the files and folders will reference users & group that no longer exist.

if it's not your last DC for this domain, you're fine.

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

I apologize to not have been clear
no this is not my last domain controller......
i have total of 3 dc.

I have understood that i'm fine demoting the dc to memeber server

thanks for your help and time
Max

oops

but if are all local group on my dc?
when will be a member server?

max

domain local groups.

domain, therefore in active directory.

as you have 3DCs, the two remaining will still maintain a copy of the directory service and all its objects, including 'local groups'
when a server becomes a DC you no longer have access to its local users and groups, consider that the SAM database ceases to exist.
so you wont lose anything.

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

aftertaf, don't forget about your fsmo roles. If that server you are demoting has any of the fsmo roles it would be better to transfer the role before demoting. After demoting, you would have to seize the role.

After demoting, you would have to seize the role.

No you wouldn't. If a DC is successfully demoted with dcpromo, dcpromo will transfer the roles to another server. If there is more than one other DC, you may want to transfer them manually, so you know where they are going, but it isn't necessary.

You would only need to seize if a server was not gracefully demoted.

thanks for your replay

the only doubt that i have it's regarding the file's permissions (NTFS)

we are in native mode, 3 dc, one of this (the file server) will become a memeber server.(no fsmo roles on this dc)
it has two partitions the c: operating system and d: data for users.
all the permission are granted trough local domain local group...
i know that in mixed mode if you demote e dc to Memeber S.
you loose all the domain local group (like nt4)
just wanna to be sure that in native mode i will found mi domain local group also in my demoted member server

thanks in advance
Max

as they are stored in AD, no problem!

Aftertaf (david)
MCSA 2003

lol.
it happens :)

Aftertaf
if its not broken, fix it anyway - with luck you might break it and have an excuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back