Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demoting DC and NTDS Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCFG

Technical User
Dec 4, 2007
GB
We are looking at Demoting a DC on a site which we no longer need to use. We are transfering the FSMO roles to another server. The question i have is i have noticed it has alot of Automatically Generated Connections under Active Directory Sites and Services what would happen to this if i demoted the server?

If you are able to gracefully demote the server then all of the connection objects and NTDS info will be removed for that server. The KCC will kick in and regenerate the replication topology creating new connection objects between the existing servers.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

If you remove the last DC in a site, do you need to remove the site from Sites and Services? Or does it matter?

Thanks,
DJ

It won't hurt anything to leave it. One thing you may want to do is reassign the subnet(s) assigned to the site to a different site mostly to facilitate slightly shorter logon times (and by slightly I mean you may or may not even notice a difference)

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back