Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demoting a Dead Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsynic

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
This is probably easy for the pros in here, so here it goes.

Recently a workstation that my company was using as a Win2K server went dead. The data couldn't be ghosted to the new server we purchased. So I'm in the process of creating a new child domain with the same name as the dead server. However, active directory sites and services won't let me delete the old server from the domain. This causes another problem because I can't have two DC's with the same name in the domain. How do I remove a server that can't be demoted first (it's dead)? Can I demote it from another DC? Can I just delete the entire site and start over?

I wouldn't give my new server the same name as my dead server. I have had major problems in trying to fool active directory into thinking my new server is the same as my old. I would give my new server a new name and have it join my AD structure. Then start promoting you new server as catalog server and master domain controller and etc..

Was it the only, or first DC in your Domain? If so, set up the new one then you will need to seize the FSMO roles. then you should be able to delete it from within Sites and Services...

And I'd give it a new name also...

Please refer to this FAQ if you need instructions,
Thanks,

Matt Wray

GFH

Matt, all the articles including yours assume that the bad server is still operational. However, that's not true in my case. The bad server is dead. I can't do anything with it. I want to do this without needing the server that will be replaced.

You can seize the fsmo roles even if the other server is missing ......

Does that FAQ tell how? All I saw was either demoting the bad server and promoting the new one or giving one the roles of the other, but I saw nothing about using just one server.

You seize the roles by using NTDSUTIL, but you should only seize them if they are not transferable from or to another DC...
What do you have in your domain now for a DC or dcs and what roles does it / they have?

Good question. How do I check the roles of my servers. Excuse my ignorance, I'm a programmer turned network administrator. All I know is that they all act as DHCP servers for their respective sites. They all also have active directory and terminal services installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back