Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Demote SBS 2k DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

702geek

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2007
US
This week I will be replacing an old SBS 2k DC with a SBS 2k3 one. Do you guys have any good best practices or tips you could offer?

This cannot be done. You cannot configure the SBS 2000 machine to just be a Server 2000 server. Decommission the hardware or purchase a Server 2003 license and reload the server.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

No, you misunderstood the question. I will be removing the 2k box from AD (demoting it). Once Ive successfully demoted it, I will be replacing it with a brand new 2k3 server. I just want to make sure that I do it correctly, thats all.

I think you are the one misunderstanding. SBS will not let you run DCPROMO. You cannot "demote" an SBS machine.

Regards,

Mark

Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Im sorry but that information is incorrect because I just demoted an SBS2K box using dcpromo. It is now a plain file server.

I will need to take your word for that. Been a long while since I worked on SBS 2K. SBS 2K3 will not allow you to run DCPROMO.

Regards,

Mark

I still have to remove it from the network though because it cant coexist (14 day grace period) while the other SBS box is live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back