Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delphi.NET - which version do we need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshute

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2004
GB
Hi
Our company currently uses Delphi5 Professional and ADO (MDAC2.x) to create a traditional enterprise Windows client / server database application - connecting to Oracle 8i / 9i / etc or SQL Server 2000. We do not use the BDE.

We're looking at moving to Delphi8 / Delphi.NET to allow us to create Windows or Web applications that conform to the .NET framework, including ADO.NET.

I'm trying to work out if we need the Professional, Enterprise or Architect edition. The Borland website is very vague!

There's a MAJOR price difference between the 3 versions and I don't want to recommend the purchase of the wrong one or end up with one that doesn't do enough.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Tim.
==

Borland provides tools to simplify rapid ADO.NET development using Borland Data Providers for .NET (BDP.NET).

mha

Thanks to all for their posts.

I still need to clarify one thing!

We used to use the BDE in Delphi 3, but it was a pain to distribute, so we moved across to pure ADO data handling, using the set of ADO tools that came as an add-on for Delphi 5 (TADOConnection, TADOQuery etc), which work really well. This also allowed us to use Delphi5 Professional edition (@ £300) instead of the Enterprise edition (@ £1,500+)

It sounds like the Borland Data Providers (BDP) are the BDE for the .NET environment and I'm not keen on going back down that route unless I have to.

If we go for Delphi8 Professional, can we still use the 'native' ADO data handling and avoid the BDP?

Thanks in advance.

Tim.
==

Hi.

If you are going or planning to create a asp.net application then the only use is Borland Data Providers (BDP) to connect to a database. I could not find ADO components for VCL forms application for Delphi8.

It is also really heavy to port a big project over to Delphi8. It could be alot of changes.. or maybe not possible.

You can download a trial version of Delphi8 at Borlands page to test and play around.

What I am seeking in Delphi is a way to wrap a shell around Win32 application to a asp.net application...
maybe COM,ActiveX, or something or somehow?

F.ex. like a java applet application(same code for a standalone application and a web application)...

I thought Delphi8 was better...
With Delphi8 it is better to create new projects for .NET applications.. my opionen.

mha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back