Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delphi ADO and writing an .xls

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncnoland

Programmer
Jun 6, 2007
US
I just saw a thread from last Oct that mentioned you can read and write to .xls files using ADO.

I am currently importing tab delimited files into Excel (03 & 07). The problem I have is Excel truncates text column data at 255 characters. When working in Excel you can add more than 255 characters to a cell. Its only during the import.

Does anyone know if ADO would have this same restriction if I wrote a program to import my tab delimited file and then output an .xls file?

Thanks. Please feel free to suggest a different approach.

John

It is helpful, but my concern in using the server objects is that they would suffer from the same 254 character string limit I am experiencing when I import a tab delimited file.

My input file is an inventory list with long and short descriptions. The long descriptions are formated HTML code which can exceed 254 characters. Another import problem I have is that if the description includes <TABLE></TABLE> tags, Excel does not see the file as tab delimited and imports all the columns into 1 column for each records. Even the records that do not have table tags!

When I get a chance I could test the server objects.

Thanks for the link. You definitely provided a good starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back