Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delphi 7 - For Free??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroLT

Programmer
Dec 16, 2002
CA
I've written an application for work using Delphi 7. I own D7 myself, and I've coded this alarm clock at home. However, my manager would like the source code, as well as the compiler to be backed up in case I'm no longer around, and something has to be changed in this code.

I've done some searches for free Delphi compilers, and I've seen Lazarus (I've not used or installed it yet), and a few other apps, but, I'm using a couple of components that comes with D7, but not included in Laz for example.

I've found a couple of sites that permitted downloads without asking for my email address guaranteeing me a life time subscription to spam. So I started doing searches for Delphi 7 to see if I could find any documentation as to whether or not D7 was released free. My question is, did Borland/Inprise/Embardico ever release D7 IDE to the public for free? If so, can anyone answer as to whether or not that it can be used for corp/private use? I'm not concerned about the virus aspect at the moment as I'm writing the code in a Virtual Machine with no network interface. ;)

The thing is, I don't want to invest hundreds or thousands of dollars into a compiler that this company is going to use pretty much just once for a simple customized alarm clock. I'm also not opposed to rewriting in something else entirely (I'd prefer the learning curve to be less than 90 degrees though)

If D7 isn't `free`, what can I use that is pascal/delphi like that will allow me to use a GUI to draw basic form components, get simple text via HTTP request, and use SQLite with as little fiddling as possible?

-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=
NEVER send the boss to do a techs job

no Delphi 7 isnt free.

there was turbo delphi that was free, but i dont think its avaliable anymore.

Lazarus is your only option that i know of.
otherwise just use a third party to maintain the program.

Aaron

The Delphi 6 Personal Edition used to be free, but I'm unsure whether it's still available. It might not include all components you are using, most notably XPMan, to add the XP (gui) manifest to executables.

The only components that I'm using in this clock would be the string grid, a few timers, the ApplicationEvents component for the OnIdle event, open/save dialog, menus, combo box, and the media player. External to what comes in D7 would be Indy HTTP but I can deal without that as all I need to do is query an HTTP server for plain text information. I'd even setup a telnetable interface JUST for that purpose if necessary. ;)

I'll have to see what I can do in Laz to find out whether or not it will do the job. As always, I'd prefer something that won't involve a complete rewrite, but, if it comes down to it... *sigh*

-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=
NEVER send the boss to do a techs job

Much as I would like to think that a 7 year old version of any program should not be selling for any more that $60.

I wonder how they are doing this?

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

An older piece of software with demand always brings high asking prices. Especially "Enterprise" level software like what was in the link. Classic games are especially like this, since the industry has sought to kill the used games market. But that's a topic for another thread somewhere.

I'm waiting for the white paper entitled "Finding Employment in the Era of Occupational Irrelevancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back