Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delphi 4.0 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

cehowski

Technical User
Dec 1, 2006
US
I haven't gotten a new version of Delphi since 4.0, can anyone advise what is the latest Delphi version that will work with programs created in 4.0, without coding changes?

Also, I use the Raize and InfoPower components - will my old versions of those be usable as well (in some newer Delphi Version).

Or, maybe someone can answer this - will the CRYSTAL VCL component that comes with Crystal 11 Developer, be usable in Delphi 4.0? Any tips on doing so?

It may be that Delphi 5 is the only Delphi that you can use if you don't want to re-code anything. Delphi 6 may be also possible.

With Delphi 7 (if i remember correctly) there are differences with variants for example and if you're using variants, you need to do some re-coding.

the variant changes are from D6. the big problem is with components : from D6 the runtime code must be separated from the designtime code (property editors)

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Do you know if I can use the Crystal Xi VCL component in Delphi 4? I guess I could just try to (find it) and add it to the pallette and see what happens, but I did not want to blow it up?

thanks,
John

The component documentation, and I would think especially Crystal, should be fairly clear as to what version of Delphi can be used.

Getting answers before I'm asked.
Providing answers if I can.

You're right - I was being lazy ! I'll contact them (there is little info in the documentation that I could find, about the VCL component).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back