Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Delphi 2010 - how can I unembed my forms in IDE? & couple of Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucieLastic

Programmer
May 9, 2001
GB
hi All

I've just moved over to Delphi 2010 from D7 so I'm still getting to grips with it.

1, I'd like to unembed my forms so I can have my form on one monitor and the code on another. How can I do this? I'm getting a bit fed up at having to do F12 evertime to switch between form and code.

2, Another Q, is it possible to have the same unit open in more than one window too? Sometimes I need to look at a record structure, for example, at the top of the unit while I program further down. A split bar like excel has would be good for this :O)

3, Also, it seems to produce very big files when I compile, I've switched off Debug information but didn't help.

4, Is it also possible to stop it from producing files in the _Backup directory?

Thanks in advance
Lou

Q4 sorted. I've unchecked the 'Create backup files' box in the Tools-Options-Editor Options.

I have another question. Why is my main .dfm file soooo big? How can I reduce it, it's currently 125MB+ and only has a small page control on it.

Many thanks

Sorry - was thinking Delphi XE.

But have you installed all D2010 updates?

Hold on, looking in the Help/About it has Update 4 and Update 5 (Database pack) in the 'Installed Updates' pane. I take it these have been installed automatically. Do I need any others?

update 4 and 5 is the latest.

Q 1.
Tools/Options/VCL Designer, untick Embedded Designer.

Q 2.
View/New Edit Window

Aaron

Brilliant! Thanks, Aaron :O) I must admit, I thought I'd tried A2 answer and it just closed one window and opened it in a separate one. All ok now. Cheers!

Yeah - I like VB's split window where I can edit in two places at once. An external editor could probably do that as well.

Any advances to Q3? I don't understand why my .dfm file is so huge.

right-click your form and select "view as text"

maybe you are including some resource? (image/icon/...)

/Daddy

-----------------------------------------------------
What You See Is What You Get
Never underestimate tha powah of tha google!

Is it stored as text? Open it in a text editor and have a look at what it in it.

You guys are brilliant!!

I had some LMDFill Objects in there, they were eating up loads of space as they have bitmaps in the their properties. I've removed them and it's dropped from 150mb to about 50k!!!

Thanks again! :O)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back