Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DELL Vostro 200 Best Processor? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

talksr

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2007
Hi, I own a Dell Vostro 200

(
And I have been wondering what is the most powerful processor my dell motherboard will support?
I wondered if any forum users would know. As I really like the system and would rather not get a new one.
At the moment, I have a Intel Core 2 6300 which I believe is a Lga 775.
Any help would be really great.

Thanks

The real answer to this question is in the BIOS of the machine. Get the BIOS version number (usually one of the first things to flash upon the screen), see if there's a newer version using your Service Tag and Dell support, and what that version brings with it.

If it doesn't say, then email or call (shudder) Dell Support with the BIOS version you are running to determine the possible CPUs available.

Offhand, I would guess it MIGHT take a Penryn core but NOT a Nehalem (Corei7) which requires a different socket. You SHOULD be able to stuff a Q6600 quad-core in there without a problem, but CALL FIRST!!!

Tony

Users helping Users...

wahnula, thank you for your very useful post.
After rebooting my machine, it says "Bios Revision 1.0.5" on bootup.
My system originally had: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E4500 (2.2
Then I upgraded the processor to a Intel Core 2 6300 @ 1.86 GHz

When you said email or call (shudder) - what did you mean by shudder?

Thanks

talksr said:
what did you mean by shudder

It's just a feeble attempt at humor. Dell's tech support is notorious for being, well, less than perfect. My own personal experience has been decent, but that was eight years ago, and I had the gold warranty, which meant next-day on-site repair, a really wise investment at the time. Not so sure about today, but my 2001 Inspiron 4000 went through 2 MBs, 4 touchpads, 3 screens, 3 keyboards, and various other parts without it costing me a dime. It's still in service as my boss' kid's laptop.

Anyway, the easiest way to determine which CPUs your MB may support is through contact with Dell's tech support. Tell them the service tag and the BIOS rev, they'll tell you what processors will work. You might even be able to determine that on your own via the Dell website, but I would still like to hear it from Dell before I spent the dough.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Ah I see. Yes completely agree. I had gold on my old D600 Lattitude laptop. Fantastic support. Went through 4 hard drives and two motherboards. But always next day service and quick to answer calls. I ordered this machine via Small Businesses with just the standard 1 year support. But I will give the site a go first.

Thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back