Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Studio 1555 new OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi,

I have a Dell Studio 1555 running Windows 7 Home Premium OS. Recently I received a message from Microsoft saying that in January 2020 they will discontinue supporting W7.

My question is what OS can I upgrade to that will run on my Studio 1555? I have looked at the Dell site and nothing is listed but I believe they are in the business of selling new equipment.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ray

Look at Microsoft's web site for Windows 10 and see what the hardware requirements are.

If you are not set on sticking with Windows, there are several free versions of Unix and Linux you can download.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Although Dell have not certified the 1555 for Windows 10 there seem to be plenty of people successfully running it on the platform. The main issue seems to be some of the drivers, but for that you can try a site such as (this is NOT a specific recommendation for this site, just using it as an example)

What about MS's dropping support scares you? The OS will continue to work. I still have 98 working along with multiple XPs but sometimes I have to work around issues.

You may be forced to upgrade by software requirements at some point if you continually upgrade the programs you use.

I've found that win10 installs well on most older Dell equipment I support. Worst case was one system that failed on on early 10 due to driver issues, partially installed on the next version with internal drivers, and did a complete install on the next.

Had to go to Intel for drivers for something that Dell didn't support with 10 on other machines, video and chipset IIRC.

Do a search for drivers for the model and you'll see multiple sites with 10 support.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Now I have some homework to do.

A bit late but basically, if you are not connected to the internet on an old machine, you have nothing to worry about. Whatever the insecurities, nobody can get to it because it is not connected.

Re: W10 - check if there are drivers available for 32-bit only or 64-bit as well. Recently I had to upgrade a machine to W10 but it wouldn't run the 64-bit version. Then I tried Linux and it was the same: no 64-bit driver. So I tried 32-bit and the latest versions of Mint and W10 both worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back