Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell R300 Sig Server platform - autonegotiation problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtismo

MIS
Dec 4, 2006
US
We are using the Dell R300 as the sig server platform for some of our 4.5 to 6.0 migrations. I am now finding that we are having issues with the TLAN autonegotiation where they are attaching 10 meg, half-duplex to our Ethernet switches, one an ERS 8600 GTRS blade, the other one a ERS 5520.

One of the sig servers I have tried bouncing the switch port, rebooting the sig server, forcing auto-neg-advertise to 1000 mbps, with no success. Unfortunately I do not have physical access to this one, but I do to one locally, which I will do testing on this weekend in maintenance window.

Already been checked.

All the ERS ports (whether on the 8600 GTRS blade or the ERS 5520) are set for auto-negotiate.

Will be going in to the one site later today to try some physical moves (reboot this sig server, different Ethernet ports, complete power cycle of the sig server, etc.) and will post what I find out.

Your problem is that the ports are set to auto-negotiate :D

VoIP is notorious for having algorithm handshake issues with Cisco, Foundry, etc - you fill in your brand here

It has been the best practice in my experience to just hardset the ones that you are having trouble with and call it a day.

Rule of thumb, you can expect something 'automatic' to work perfectly 100% of the time ;D

Anyway, good luck on it.

We had our Foundry IOS upgrade cause heatbeat issues with our MC32 cards in our older CS1000 ... see what I mean? We ended up having to rollback to the downgrade and leave it alone.

On another note we were told that they didn't have any Dell Servers that were Nortel approved for being SigServers at the time we purchased our system 1 1/2 years ago so if you system is newer I would hope they approved this Dell server.
Could be a reason if the TCP stack didn't work well with Nortel port negotiations :)

The Dell R300 is now a COTS option under 6.0R.

And well, there was some (American) football game going on last night so I didn't get in to the office to try some things :)

:D NICE - good they finally brought Dell in - we were mad because Nortel/Microsoft/Dell was supposed to have an Alliance when we bought our system and we couldn't friggin get a Dell SigServer (that is WHACK).

Yep the Vikings and Saints game ... too bad Saints won :) - good game though.
My bowling friend will NOT be happy tonight :)
Good luck figuring it out.

Yep the Vikings and Saints game ... too bad Saints won :) - good game though.
My bowling friend will NOT be happy tonight :)
We did our major 4.5 to 6.0 upgrade last weekend with two installers from Minnesota...in one of our facilities on the Oklahoma/Texas border. Told them I didn't have enough money to bail them out of jail if they went to a bar so we just kept working. Luckily I brought along my Pinnacle USB HD-TV and one of the guys supplied powered speakers. With the CBS/FOX tower only 5 miles away the Vikings game came in loud and clear. :)

So with Dell doing Sig Servers now, do you think they could fix the Conextant Modem issues on the older Latitude Laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back