Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Powervault /Server 2003 - vanishing recycle bin

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech84

Technical User
May 18, 2000
US
I just set up a Dell Powervault 745N running Server 2003 Appliance Edition. I just realized that there is no recycle bin on the desktop, or in the Windows Explorer! I'm pretty sure it was there before. I found a registry hack that's supposed to restore the recycle bin in XP/2003, but it has no effect. Has anyone else had this problem? It just kind of stinks because if you want to delete anything, you have to really delete it. There's no recycle bin safety net.

Thanks,

Mike
[morning]

I have a similar device and have never had a recycle bin. I'm going with the assumption there isn't one.

That would explain why I can't find any help on the issue. It must not be an issue! Thanks for your input.

Mike
[morning]

This is a stupid question, but have you looked on the start menu instead of on the desktop? Remember, Win2k3 uses the XP user interface, and unless you're using the "classic" start menu, system icons do not appear on the desktop.

jkupski,

Yes, I switched to classic start menu thinking the same thing. Still no joy.

Thanks, though.

Mike

Mike
[morning]

Okay, another thought: You're really not looking for a recycle bin per se, just a "safety net" in case files are accidentially deleted, right?

Since this is Storage Server 2003, why not use Volume Shadow Copy?

Thanks for the tip! I've already got VSC running. I just like the quick convenience of the recycle bin if I accidentally delete a batch file or script, but yeah, VSC will work too. I wonder why MS decided to do away with the recycle bin with storage server?

Mike
[morning]

The goofy thing is that under Customize Desktop there are Recycle Bin (full) and (empty) icons that you can pick from and yet there is no Recycle Bin.

Yeah, I thought that was goofy too.

Mike
[morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back