Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Poweredge Windows Server 2003 Standard R1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twimming

Programmer
Jan 23, 2008
GB
Hi,

I have recently purchased a second hand Dell Power edge 1600SC with a Windows Server 2003 R1 OEM licence. The server didn't come with any discs. I can't find a dell OEM Windows Server 2003 Standard R1 disc anywhere. I have phoned Dell and Microsoft with no luck.

Has anyone got any ideas or the disc, I'm willing to pay for the media as long as its correct.

Thank you.

Twim.

Assuming there is actually a COA sticker on the server, you're good to go legally. For media, call up your sales rep and tell him you need a Win2k3 media kit. It should run about $25.

Thanks for your reply.

I have contacted Dell and requested new media but they said they have none in stock as Windows Server 2003 R1 is no longer supplied by Microsoft.

Are you suggesting I can get the media legitimately from any sales source?

I have tried another Volume Licence copy of Windows 2003 Standard R1 but the COA key wouldn't work with it.

Thanks

Tim.

Yes, you can legally get media from any sales source. The problem is that (as you've already found out) Microsoft media is split into market segments, and media from one segment won't work with a COA from another (IIRC, there are three segments, which are retail, oem, and volume license.) This is absolutely brain dead (again, as you've already found out) but there it is. if you do acquire media from a reseller, make sure it's the right kind. Somebody from an outfit like CDW should be able to meet your needs.

If that fails, drop me a message at kupski dash mis at lisega dot com and maybe I can give you a hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back