Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Poweredge 2600 indicating wrong memory size: Help!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybercraft

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2006
NG
Dell Poweredge 2600 with 1Gb (4x256Mb) physical memory on it. During the boot sequence, the machine indicates that it is limiting the memory to 256Mb then prompts me to strike F1 etc...What do I do to get the machine to recognize the remaining memory. I think a technician might have serviced this machine recently and handled the memory...though they are all in their slots now. Thank you.

You could boot the machine 4 times with a different stick each time to see if you can narrow down the problem. Was any of the memory changed out recently? Could there be both ECC & non-ECC memory in the box?

Thanx gentlemen, I done all that. Each stick works individually as 256Mb but only recognizes the first slot. I think there's something I need to configure/enable to get the box to see the others. I need more information...please help.

Go into the BIOS and set the "OS Install Mode" setting to "Off."

It's a legacy setting that will restrict available RAM to 256MB so certain OS installers (I'm looking at you, Windows NT) will not have any problems do to large memory sizes.

Thnx, jkupski, it solved my problem instantly...ur the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back