Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell PowerEdge 2550

Status
Not open for further replies.

amtechs

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2007
US
I just inherited 2 Dell PowerEdge 2550 servers that are out of warranty. When I was at my friends house, it booted up after some reluctancy.

Upon arriving home, I tried to boot them up to load Windows 2003 Small Business Server and it stops at the following boot screen.

PowerEDge Expandable RAID Controller Bios 3.29.....etc
Copyright....
Press CTRL-m to run
Press Ctrl-h etc.

Stops doesn't go any further.

I cannot get into the Bios (it says Entering Setup but just sits). The only way I can get into the Bios is to break the keyboard buffer. But once in there, it won't allow to pass on.

Anyone got any opinions on this? I wish I could show you a screen shot.

If you go to the Dell site and put in your service tag number, you should be able to download all the drivers and bios you need to get the machine operable. You should use the installation cd to prep the system for the OS load after you get everything updated.

I tried download the driver and update the Bios/Firmware but I cannot get past the device recognizing part of POST in order to boot from a floppy to update.

No keyboard options work other than Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

I think there is some serious hardware problems here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back