Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell PERC 3 controller problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camacho

Technical User
Jun 2, 2003
US
I was called in to break into Dell servers with Win2000 installed. The former NetAdmin held the servers hostage by not giving out the passwords on the admin accounts. I have a utility that would 'blank' the Admin password but my problem is, it only works on SCSI and IDE controllers. Any tip on how can I break into these servers without opening the boxes?

The Perc 3 controller is SCSI so I don't understand your question. BTW, your post sounds fishy to me...

Oh is it? I kinda grew up on Adaptec. Not to worry,
I have people on my back as I break into their servers.
It's just that this Dell box has PERC3 and my bootdisk
doesn't have the necessary PERC3 driver to access the HD.

I managed to get a bootable CD with more SCSI drivers and I
will be back this Saturday to try it. Otherwise, the 'slight of hand' is off and I just have to open the box.

The PERC3 is probably Adaptec based anyhow, eithe r that or AMI but I think they stopped using AMI with PERC2.

The Perc 3 could either be Adaptec or AMI/LSI. If you see Ctrl M during post it is an AMI/LSI controller. If you see Ctrl A, it is an Adaptec controller. Depending on if you need the ASPI driver or the OS driver both can be found on the Dell web site. If you need the ASPI drivers download the Elite Diagostics utility. If you need the OS drivers just download the appropiate one.
FYI: Use recovery console to recover the password. Unless the admin was smart and used the utility to sinc the password the default password for recovery console is the orginal password set up on the box, which is normally a blank password.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back