Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell PE 2650 Amber Light Error E0212 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheerdad

MIS
Feb 18, 2004
US
I have a Dell PowerEdge 2650 with an Amber Light. The following message is being displayed:

"E0212 VOLT VTT 1.25V VOLT 2.5"

I have done a lot of searching, and find a few E0212 references, but not this specific one. Anybody have any suggestions? The message seems to suggest unbalanced power, but I'm not sure what to do about it. The server is continuing to function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

cheerdad

According to this sounds like your power supply back plane/power suplies are out of spec. Get Dell to replace the backplane first. If this is a redundant power supplied server, and they give you a bull story of how the diffent power cords are suppose to be connected to different UPS units, or you get these lights, don't eat it, demand a new backplane. In my situation, they insisted this is how the backplane functions, and a new one would not correct the problem, nonsense; a new backplane corrects the problem.

"System board is out of acceptable voltage range; faulty or improperly installed system board"

I was running into this also. Try updating the BIOS, ESM and the Embedded DRAC first (all to the latest). Then unplug physically the 2 power cords from the 2650 for about 15 seconds, then see if the error is still there.

I had the same problem after the Dell engineer changed the motherboard on our Power Egde 2650 server.

I entered into the remote Open Manager for my server and noticed the EMS Volts were above the green stanadard level. They were not in the red. After speaking with Dell they told me to adjust the levels. Resolved the problem but I am not happy with their response. I am watching the server to see if anything else pops up.

Complete Dell "Bodge and leg it" job if you ask me.

Rob

We contacted by Dell for a similar problem on our 6300. They supplied a CD set for flashing all of the components on our system, and the problem was corrected.

Full disclosure: our specific error was E0212 VOLT CPU VRM, so the solution may not be the same. Still, Xenoncj's approach is worth a try.

If you've had the motherboard replaced, the newer motherboards use different voltages that are outside the monitoring parameters that were used for the old motherboards. Update the DRAC/ESM to version A01/3.14 or better. The system will then have the proper monitoring paramaters and it should clear the error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back