Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell pause 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

canare

Technical User
Aug 27, 2001
GB
At work my network workstation is a dell P2 opti something! Anyway when saving documents in office or opening docs or printing, the system pauses for perhaps 15 secs before carrying out the request. Just when you think the thing has hung it proceeds. I have told the IT techs that the network card is the problem but they disagree and say 'well its a dell' Anyone agree with me or another possible cause?

Questions?? When you are performing all these tasks(opening documents, saving, printing) are these being done over the network? Are your documents being saved to a server or on your local hard drive. Are you printing to a network printer or to a printer attached to your workstation? Could determine whether it's a network issue at all. I know it's simple, but need to know. Thanks.

KK

We had similar issues on our network (all Dell's, also). I don't think it had anything to do with the Dell factor, though. What I found was that someone had mapped a drive to all the machines which was not available. When it tried to perform anything in the way of file management, it tried to locate that drive before proceeding. This can also happen with a valid drive that is remote on your network.

For ksquared57. Most if not all of the questions can be answered yes to the network. The docs are on the server, the application software on local hard drive, printer is a network printer. I have to say i have not tested if the problem occurs from docs on the local hard drive. Thanks for your input

If you are using MS Office, and also using Outlook, please check one thing. In outlook there is an option to 'cache' documents for whatever reason in outlook. I have disabled this option, and all of the pausing behavior in any office program has disappeared. Unfortunately, i have forgotten how to get to it, since i no longer use that version of outlook. Also, if you have not already, through control panel kill FindFast, which is a big problem causer IMO. Hope this helps, even if i dont remember the exact options path to turn off the caching, perhaps this will jog someones memory and they will know. Good Luck.

Do you have an Anti-Virus package running ? We have found that Norton AV can cause long pauses in file saving, this is due to the real time file protection. If you have this then worthwhile turning off and trying to save then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back