Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Or Quantum

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertedmed

Technical User
May 23, 2005
US
We have dell servers and are looking at LTO tape drives

dell makes one and looked at quantum also

any recomendations like to stay around $$$1,000-1,500

Thanks Robert...

How much data are you backing up?

My advice - STAY AWAY FROM DELL. That said, let me also add, it's been about 5 years or so since I last used Dell Backup Hardware regularly. At that time (and for several years prior, I had used abotu 8-10 different Dell drives - some SDLT, some DDS3/4, some DLT (never LTO in fairness) and of those, I probably had 5-7 of them fail at some point during the warranty period. To me, this was a REALLY high failure rate and frankly, my trust in Dell backup hardware was destroyed. We switched to Overland brand systems... and though we had an initial firmware bug, once that was sorted out, those Overland SDLT systems were flawless for at least 3 years. (Our data centers had very clean power and dozens to hundreds of servers - and everything was conditioned through UPS... this was NOT bad power going into the tape drives).

(So go with the Quantum. MAYBE Dell fixed their tape drive issues - or maybe they never applied to LTO... but in either case, I think you are taking a huge chance going with a Dell brand tape backup system - and possible a tape backup system at all - again, how much data are you backing up and are you under any kind of regulatory and company policy that requires archiving backups over a period of years?)

...and I would recommend that you stay away from Quantum. This SDLT2 drive I have from them has been nothing but trouble, and has been replaced 3 times by Quantum. Oh, and their service plain sucks as well. Every time I call they try to convince me that I don't have a warrantee, and when I finally convince them I do it takes at least a week to get a replacement drive. I don't know about you, but my tape decks are critical and being without is not an option.

Did you know that SDLT is an abandoned format? Shoulda gone with LTO...

Robertedmed, My experience has been quite different from LWComputingMVP. Actually, it's the exact opposite. I have Dell drives that are excellent and haven't broken down(except for maybe a rare stuck tape). We have Dell autoloaders that have VS80 drives, SDLT1 drives, LTO3 drives as well as LTo4 drives. I havent had a major issue with any of them and even when I did, in the case of a stuck tape, Dell support was quick to send me a replacement. On the other hand, Overland support is mediocre at best and if you dont have it configured right in the first try, it will take ages for you to get it configured. Their tech support isnt much help either. I can already tell you their response " Update the FW and get back to us", even when it's the latest FW. I do agree that once setup, the Overland autoloaders work flawlessly.

I'm not sure if Dell cleaned up their act recently, or I've just been lucky but my experience with Dell has been really good. It doesn't hurt that I have Gold support with them either.
I havent had experience with Quantum autoloaders, although the SDLT drives for the Dell autoloaders are from Quantum and I havent had a problem with the drives.

Robertedmed. Funny, I have exactly the same things happen to me with Dell and Quantum Hardware as LawnBoy and LWComputingMVP - admittedly with DAT and DLT/SDLT Tape Technologies... I just want the darn things to work without it being a battle - is that too much to ask? The service and support I got from Dell was - Dellish - and, from InoStor on the Quantum Drive/AutoLoader it was fantastic but, I don't want to be calling support x amount of times over the y amount of years of the products lifespan... I just want the product to work.

So, Maybe someone can now help me please.. I am looking for an LTO-4 solution and am, because of prior experience, looking to HP's AK377A or 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader products. Has anyone had any issues or recommendations or comments with these? Also, can anyone even find the AK377A product on HP's website?!?!?

Softwarewise, has Symantec managed to screw up Backup Exec yet or shall I get Backup Exec as my backup software of choice - SQL, Exchange, DC's and multiple Server agents are needed... Is there more "robust" backup software out there that I should be looking at?

Thank You.

=============================
What could possibly go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back