Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Optiplex GX270 Fan/Heatsink Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilebalar

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2002
US
Hi.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 mini tower. The user has been reporting the computer is 'slow'. The computer is a P4 3.0GHz with 1GB RAM. I noticed that the fan (the one on top of the heatsink) spins like crazy sometimes. I opened up the case, everything is very clean inside, no dust. (fan, heatsink fin)
So I did some test. I closed the case back up and ran some applications, the fan started to spin like crazy with warm air flowing out. So I opened the case and the green air shroud, the fan stopped spinning like crazy and cool air flew out!

So an overheated CPU can cause the slowness, right? I ran testes on other component (HD, RAM and a complete dell diagnostic test) and everything is OK.

Any idea? Should I replace the heatsink?

Thanks.

Check the CPU's temperature either in BIOS, or with a monitoring utility(Motherboard Monitor is a freebie). If it exceeds 65 C when the system is performing applications, then remove the CPU, clean off the thermal compound from it and its heatsink, apply new compound, and reinstall.

Chances are a P4-era PC is going to need a format & fresh install of XP to regain its youthful speed. Windows accumulates lots of bogus data etc. over the years (months to some) and needs a complete hose-down.

The effect you describe with the shroud is normal...I think.

It's a long shot, but have a look at the capacitors:

Tony

Users helping Users...

We've had to replace GX260 fans in a number of our units - I know yours is GX270 but in the same family.

I'd try swapping that fan first and see what happens.

thanks, ski. will try it.

thanks, wahnula. i thought about the capacitor issue cuz i had the issue with a few of my other gx270, so i checked and it is fine.

thanks, roland63. i read it on some other site that the fan in the system is really cheap. maybe it is not doing its job anymore eventhough it is still spinning.

thanks, all. i think i will first try changing the fan and see what happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back