Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Optiplex GX150 BIOS upgrade 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicthedeadhog

Technical User
Nov 25, 2008
GB
Hi all,
I've got a Dell Optiplex GX150 PC in our office. It's a 1.2ghz Celeron running 512MB RAM in one of the DIMM slots.
I'd like to chuck in another 512MB to bring it up to a gig of RAM, but 512 is the max for this board.
I've been told that a BIOS update is available which will allow it to recognise and use the extra RAM but the A11 BIOS revision (the latest available from Dell) still can't see the extra RAM. Tried DriveGuide.com and Googled excessively without success.

Should I give up on this or has anyone managed to do this successfully?

Cheers all and happy new year,
Brendan.

Ciscoguy,
I did try that and zeeuw was correct it was the only really a link to the dell website to download an older Bios.

thanks anyway

I think I got it figured out. To increase the system's memory addressing capacity you need to install the latest chipset drivers. As already mentioned, probably a good idea to flash the BIOS with the latest upgrade for that as well.

Here's a link to the driver download which includes the description. In the description you will see where it mentions support for 1 GB of memory.

The driver update is from Dell, but they don't include a description of the update on the Dell website. Yet if you choose, you download it from there as well.

Look at the section "chipset"

With either download source, the filename for the updated chipset drivers is R47822.EXE

As you can see, on that page there's a whole slew of other driver updates that you should probably install for the computer - Optiplex GX150.

As you may or may not know, you'll need to be running Windows to get the updates to install from your hard drive. The firmware updates include the means for installation from a floppy, the drivers which are Windows specific might not have that option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back