Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Optiplex GX150 BIOS upgrade 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicthedeadhog

Technical User
Nov 25, 2008
GB
Hi all,
I've got a Dell Optiplex GX150 PC in our office. It's a 1.2ghz Celeron running 512MB RAM in one of the DIMM slots.
I'd like to chuck in another 512MB to bring it up to a gig of RAM, but 512 is the max for this board.
I've been told that a BIOS update is available which will allow it to recognise and use the extra RAM but the A11 BIOS revision (the latest available from Dell) still can't see the extra RAM. Tried DriveGuide.com and Googled excessively without success.

Should I give up on this or has anyone managed to do this successfully?

Cheers all and happy new year,
Brendan.

It looks like you're at the maximum RAM that your system will support; since this is a limitation of the hardware (the chipset in this case), no new BIOS will give you support for more.

Hello Brendan,

As above user has said, it might be limitations that have been set to the actualy hardware of the unit. Though it could be the RAM you are using. Have you tried other similar spec RAM to test that it will not respond to anything above 512? Have you read the changes for the revised BIOs version you installed to see if the upgrade has been changed to allow higher amounts of RAM to be installed?

A+, Network +, MCP, Security +

sonicthedeadhog, it is pretty rare that a BIOS update will increase the maximum possible RAM, it is usually a limitation of the hardware. That being said there are exceptions; the best bet is to check a memory supplier's website (Kingston, Crucial, etc); they have a memory finder app there that allows you to enter your system information and it will let you know what it can support. You don't have to buy from them, but they are a fairly reliable source of information.

Thanks to you both vanka25 & WingedTek,

I Googled your collective comments and discovered what I was looking for. There is a non-Dell-approved modified BIOS upgrade that will recognise RAM up to 1GB so long as it's single-sided 512's. (or something)
I was only working on a rumour and I didn't expect anything, so it was a major bonus to get a result so quickly. I upgraded the BIOS and plugged in the RAM - worked first time.

Thankfully the machine is now running much faster and has saved us spending cash on the conventional upgrade. As I said, the BIOS modification is not Dell approved so it I wouldn't offer it as a general solution for warranteed machines. But hey - it's working great!

Thanks to you both, I really appreciate it.

Brendan.

@sonicthedeadhog

how can I contact you to get this link non-Dell-approved modified BIOS upgrade from you?
thnx

Zeeuw - you can't!!! at least not on this site, as it is against policies to exchange contact information...

Sonic could post the link to the file download site or upload it to a file sharing site and then post the link...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

well, I'm very sorry if I did something wrong, I'm new here, my native language is Dutch and my english is something like school-english, so I apoligise, but I hope someone can/will give me the link or post the link to that download, I can't find it using google....

sonicthedeadhog, would you mind posting the link on this thread? or sending me a PM?

I would be more than happy to host this on my web server for the world if there is no online copy in existance anymore..

if someone already has it by now, please let me know as soon as possible at ido370(at)icqmail.com or leave me a message here. i really need it very hard

ido370, it is against the rules to publish your email address in open forum. bruor, there are no PMs on this forum, everything is above-board and visible to all. If you're willing to host the file put a link to your website in your signature and place your contact info on the website.

sonicthedeadhog, you are free to publish the link here as long as it's not in violation of any copyright laws. I would think a caveat that it's not Dell approved would be all that's needed. Any 512MB-max PCs are probably out-of-warranty anyway!

Welcome all to the forum. I am not a forum nazi, just helping new members with the rules.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I would also like to know where to find this BIOS upgrade!

I've searched the web and all I found is the latest DELL BIOS version A11 (which I have and it only works up to 512MB total memory). One 512MB low-density (32X8) works fine, but when two are inserted the BIOS initialization freezes.

I may add that I upgraded the CPU to a PIIIS 1.4GHz and it works fine, but I read that there exist different revisions of the chipset around for this motherboard and only some of them supports the faster Tualatin CPU's. To see if a gx150 supports Tualatin CPU one has to remove the heat sink on the chipset (the smaller heat sink next to the CPU) and read the manufacture code on the chip:

i815 A2 SL4DF FW82815 (doesn't support Tualatin)
i815 B0 SL5NQ FW82815 (supports Tualatin)
i815EP A2 SL552 FW82815EP (doesn't support Tualatin)
i815EP B0 SL5NR FW82815EP (supports Tualatin)

Also, the Tualatin is slightly thicker than the coppermine and I had to hammer out the heat-sink spring a little to avoid what seemed to be excessive pressure force on the CPU. (I don't know if this is really necessary though.)

... hope this helps someone ...

Is it really even worth it? You are gonna go thru so many differnet thing sto ge tit to work, and if you break something in the process, well then there goes the effort. Youll spend more time and $$ on fixing the bloody thing when you can get a cheapie replacement in a jiffy.

We finally shelved our 30-ish units and replaced with Dell Vostro 200s.
They are so outta warranty, old, slow and I would bet the extra 512 wont matter much.

Just my 2 cents but sometimes you just gotta say enough and move on.

Hi everybody
I really think Sonic is the Dead Hog up till now.... B-(

ido370

Your link is as dead as Sonic [smile], but yes, that is the appropriate way to publish your contact info.

People come & go in this forum on a regular basis, a few of us stay because we like to help. Sonic has not been back since Jan 9th, they may or may not respond to your plea. They do have this thread marked, so make sure your link is good and maybe you'll hear from them. Best of luck.

Tony

Users helping Users...

did anyone find a resolution to this issue I am in need ot finding the same solution to this issue. All the machines are out of warranty and I figure it is worth a shot. If we can't post a link on this website can someone post what to google? I have looked and can't find what I need. Thanks

I am not sure if this is what you all are looking for but, here it is, I don't have any Dell GX 150's or I would have tried it out first -

PLEASE understand this is NOT a DELL BIOS, I just "Googled" and found this link for you all to investigate yourselves!!!

--------------------------------------
Dell Optiplex GX150 01.02.2005 bios

Processor
Processor Type Intel Pentium III
Processor Speed 1 GHz
Processor Manufacturer Intel
Processor Upgradability Upgradable
Installed Qty 1
Max Processors Qty. 1
Motherboard
Bus Speed 133 MHz

Video Output Interface AGP 4x

Memory
RAM Technology DDR SDRAM

Installed RAM 256 MB

Max Supported RAM 1 GB
Technical Features.................................

-----------------------------------

Hope this is what you all have been looking for :)

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back