Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Optiplex 740 and 745 Imaging Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayfox

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2006
US
Hello Everyone,

I have recently purchased 14 Optiplex 740's and 24 Optiplex 745's for use in my company. I have been using ZEN imageing for about a year now and have never had a problem. When I tried to use my CD on these new computers, it does not recognize my CD-Rom drive or my NIC. The CD boots and it loads the OS into memory, but it will not go any further because it can not read anymore data off of the CD. The same if I give the workstation tasks from console one. PXE boots, loads the OS and then will not go farther because it can not mount the NIC. I have a feeling that the hard drives are going to be a problem as well because, like the CD-Rom, they are SATA. If anyone has faced off against these models and won, please post. I have no expertise with linux and could not remake the boot disk. Any help or alternative methods of imageing would be great. Thanks.

What version of imaging are you using? I think the latest hotpatch bootcd.iso can read SATA

It's important to understand that when new DELL systems come out, they inevitably have new or revised hardware that is newer than what ZEN has built into it. So there is always a problem when you go with brand new models. Usually though you can find updated zen stuff that will work, but somebody has to develop it before it can be released.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hey Folks,

I was using an out of date imaging ISO. I found the new one and was able to successfully upload an image to my server. Thanks for your suggestions. This matter can be considered closed.

bayfox

Where'd you find the new ISO? We just got in 43 of the 745's. Thanks for the heads-up!

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back