Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DELL - M1004 ERROR!!!! "HeLp"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzaqman2005

Technical User
Jul 12, 2005
US

My Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop is showing the error "M1004" and I can not get rid of it. I have been to numerous websites (Including Dell) and the information as well as the downloads do not help.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

Well "M1004" appears to relate to overheating. Have you checked that all fans in the laptop are turning? Any airways blocked with dust and dirt etc? Anyone been messing with the CPU/heatsink at all? You could try reseating the CPU, clean off mating surfaces of CPU and heatsink, and then apply a fresh thin coat of heatsink compound etc...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I notice the fan is not moving. If I hold down the power button it turns.
I am going to try the heatsink.

Thanks for the help.

OK, the error is suggesting that your BIOS revision is out of date. You need to flash to the latest one.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Also, I too have seen that it could be related to overheating. An upgraded BIOS could solve fan issues, which are directly controlled by the BIOS in Dell laptops. This is a common issue with Dell.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I have tried flashing but that doesnt seem to work, I get a CMOS error when I flash it.

I tried to flash again and it tells me it wont because it is current. I still have the problem......I am going to blow this thing up!

When you first turn on your PC, you should see the BIOS version on the POST screen that appears. It'll say A06 or something like that. Get this number and write it down.

Then go back out to Dell's website and make sure there isn't a later version available.

~cdogg

This is insane!!!!!!!

I am getting nowhere with this!

HELP!

This is what I get when I boot up after the two beeps;

Phoenix Bios 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1985-2001
Phoenix Technologies Ltd
All Rights Reserved
Inspiron 2650 series BIOS version A13
CPU = Intel Pentium 4 mobile CPU 1.60 GHz
640k System RAM Passed
254M Extended RAM Passed
512k Cache SRAM Passed
System BIO Shadowed
Video BIO Shadowed
Fixed Disk 0: Hitachi DK23DA-20
Atapi CD-ROM: Samsung CD ROM SN-124
Mouse Initialized
Fatal Error:
An error has been detected with your system.
Please call DELL support with error code # M1004

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to setup

These are the other steps Dell recommends in addition to upgrading the BIOS:
[navy]
1. Disconnect the AC adapter from the computer.
2. Remove the battery from the computer.
3. Open the computer to access the power button.
4. Press and hold down the power button for 1 minute.
5. After this has been completed, insert the battery and re-attach the AC adapter.
6. Power on the computer.
[/navy]

~cdogg

I appreciate the reply back but I have tried that already and it does not seem to do anything.
I even took the fan out of it yesterday, cleaned it out pulled the plug out let it sit for 15 minutes and still.....nothing.

Anyone want to by A Dell Inpiron 2650...LOL!

Did you try what I posted in:
thread779-1092503

Now I am having a problem with the power and charging. So as I was reading up on it, it turns out that the motherboards are prone to die on the Inspirons and DELL had a recall on them a few years back (2002) so I guess I am out of luck. I bought it second hand and cant even report it...what a bummer!

Oh well......

Thanks for the help anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back