Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Latitude Screen Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiztwiz

Technical User
Dec 15, 2002
GB
When i turn on my laptop sometimes it boots ok, other times the screen is washing out ALL WHITE from right to left - any ideas on what the problem might be please so I can resolve it?

Is your screen flexing? Have you tried holding the top right and bottom left (or top left and bottom right) and just twisting slightly?

My old compaq laptop suffered from this - put it in the laptop bag and the next time you start up, it is wall to wall jumping blue/white lines. A minor twist and everything returns to normal. Absolutely amazing security device for those who don't know about it.

Gave it a twist but it didn't work. When i leave it for a few hours the problem disappears. I left it overnight, tried the twist and I selected last known good configuration and it was accessing this screen and then the screen went all white from right to left. It did say something about a change to the docking station prior to this where i just hit the return key.

Try pressing F8 on startup. That will bring up a list of boot options. See if it will go into safe mode.

I have tried safe mode, debugging, mostly all the options under F8. Problem is sometimes i can see the screen, mostly i can't. I do believe some kind of virus or hijacker software has taken over.

I tried an external monitor and my laptop boots fine i.e. i can see the screen, it is not all white. Any ideas why my laptop screen is all white sometimes, blue and black others and sometimes shows the screen then fades out pls?

If it's still under warranty, I'd call it a hardware issue and contact Dell Tech Suppt.

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

There is a ribbon cable from the notebook base to the display that passes through the left hinge of the notebook. It has become broken/intermittent. You can Google this: "dell latitude display problem", or send it out for repair/replacement of the cable.

Well....I have reinstalled a new copy of Windows 2000 in a new directory and booted up using this new version and the problem has been resolved. However, I need to delete the old Winnt directory as it is obviously corrupt and I couldn't repair it using Windows Repair. Firstly, I need to move the new version of Windows 2000 out of the Winnt directory to the C: drive and then go back and delete the old Winnt directory which isi corrupt. What is the best way to do this....I haven't used DOS for years now and don't want to mess up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back