Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Latitude - Not working after FORMAT. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just formated my Dell Latitude CP. However, now whenever I boot up, it says, "Invalid system disk. Replace the disk, and then press any key." Please don't tell me that I now need a new Hard Drive?! Shouldn't it always search the A: drive first?

please help

first... do you have a floppy in drive [A:] when you start the machine?

second... if it isn't booting from the floppy firsthand, you will need to enter into the [computers bios setup] and change the [boot sequence] to read from a floppy first.

third, if you are not aware of this in the first place... You now have no operating system on the harddrive due to the fact that you have formated it. This is why it is giving you the [invalid system disk] error. These problems do not indicate a bad harddrive... so relax. All you need is a reload of windows.

Often enough you can boot from the 98 CD and easily bypass this whole business of the floppy. A lattitude should have a [product recovery] disk with it. inserting that and restarting will usually do the trick as well.

Good luck and happy Reloading

~CaNiX~ Those who seek me, must first seek the storm and the wolf who lerks within it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back