Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Latitude D630 Cursor Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

muthabored

Technical User
May 5, 2003
US
We have 3 Dell Latitude D630 laptops that have the same issue. All 3 are running Windows XP SP2. What's happening is while using the mouse, (external, touchpad or point stick) without warning, the cursor will either drift off into the upper right hand corner and disappear (returning approximately 1 minute after leaving the laptop alone) or it will randomly open/close desktop icons, URL links, etc.
So far we've:

made sure that the device drivers for the mice are current,
uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers in case they were corrupt, reimaged the laptops, contacted Dell Tech Support to see if this is a known issue, replaced the systemboard, the palm rest (which intergrates the TouchPad) & keyboard (which intergrates the point stick), tried various external mice (including another mouse just like the one that came with the laptop) but the issue remains. I suspect that another driver is interfering/causing the issue because reimaging fixes it temporarily but then the problem returns. We've tried a vanilla XP install(not our company's image) and have tried installing the drivers for each device one by one (starting with the mouse first) but this to is only a temporary fix (works for a little while and then it returns).

While I'd like to be able to say that we have 3 defective laptops, I need a little more leverage before the powers that be will buy this theory.

Any other ideas that we may have overlooked?

'preciate it!

I used to have a Latitude C610 & the reason for the mouse creep (just like you described) in my set up was the palm rest. It became deformed when holding/transporting the laptop by grasping the laptop with one hand at an edge. Holding the laptop at the edge causes the frame to flex and place pressure on the touchpad. I was able to release the pressure by moving my finger around the edge of the touchpad several times. Once I grasped an edge (to take the laptop with me while the laptop was open and running) the mouse shot off to the upper right corner. I began using a stiff sketch board to keep the frame from flexing. I still use one to this day. I place my laptop on it and "viola" no more flex. And it keeps the air flowing when the laptop is placed on a soft surface (i.e. bed, pillow, couch, ottoman).

I know it's low tech but it worked for me.

Have Fun!

I do too have mouse creepage and found out that this is predominant with USB mice... as soon as I used an adapter and plugged it into the PS/2 port it had disappeared...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

forgot to mention, the mice I used are from Logitech (they where budget mice) and the Razer Diamondback did not behave this way...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

My pointer, (old Dimension 4000) would just start boogalooing into the upper left corner, sometimes doing a little dance on its way.

Luckily, I had bought the 3-year in-office support and danged if I wasn't going to use it! 3 touch pads & 2 palm rests later the problem stopped, and has remained fixed to this day, and we're talking about a 2001 laptop still in use by the boss' daughter. So, it CAN be solved, it just takes perseverance and the right tech.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Hey, thanks guys.

Since posting this, I've ordered another palm rest for one of the laptops with the hopes that will solve the issue.

Just as an FYI, the problem is the Synaptics pointer dot (I refuse to use derogatory names for it). It's not that it is defective, it may be, but if you don't use it, disable it in the Synaptics touchpad controls. If you use a USB mouse, set it to disable the touchpad/pointer dot entireley when the USB mouse is connected.
This has been a known issue with the Dells I've worked with in the past 8 years, and when I started you couldn't selectively disable the pointer dot. They've wised up and set it so that you can, so try it and see if it doesn't solve your problem. Besides, unless your user was a power IBM user, the dot is just an incovenience to typing.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

Yes, my tech experience says try disabling the pointer stick.
If you look at the screen, you may see a faint blotch right where the lid closes and rests on the stick. Seems to be a major design flaw in all of dells lappies with the stick.

Wow, I was having the same issue with several D630's. I have disabled the mouse pointer and the problem is gone. Thanks.

I found the issue to be a bad keyboard/ loose cable on keybd

jjjthird,
Prolly so, but in a fast paced IT environment of 500+ users you don't always have the time to try a disconnect (as the user needs it back fast), and you don't always have the parts for a repair. 'Sides, I've found that the problem has a tendency to re-occur even if you replace the part. As robmazco said above it's almost inherent in the design of the laptop. I've found that most users don't use the dot, so I just disable and problem solved.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back