Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Latitude cpi (266) Wont Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosshogg

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2002
GB
When i power on my laptop all led's stay lit and there is no drive activity,, infact there is no acyivity at all the only way to power off is to remove the battery.....

Any help would be apreciated :)

Thanx in advance

You need anew power supply definitly if there is no power to drives then you need a new one.

First of all, you should never have to remove the battery to force a shutdown. On most laptops (including the latitudes), you can hold the power button down until it shuts off - usually takes 5-10 seconds.

Also, we need more info. Does it work with an AC power supply connected to it? Try the AC without the battery. Remove all peripherals (CDROM, Floppy, Modem/LAN card, etc.) and try to power it on from AC. This should at least get you to the BIOS screen.

Post back if you still can't get anywhere...

no the laptop will not boot at all with main or batt power.

cooling fan / hdd nothing spins @ all. only the led's stay lit and you cannot power off by poer button i have to pull put the battery

thanx again :(

So you've tried the following?

- take out hard drive, floppy, cd-rom, battery and tried it on AC

- hold down power button for up to 20 secs until LED lights go off

If so, try this:

1) tighten all screws underneath the laptop (the center one acts as a grounding screw and must be securely in)

2) with everything out of the system (peripherals, HD, etc.) and power disconnected, hold the power button down for 30 secs which forces an internal reset

3) reseat the RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back