Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Latitude Boot-up password 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

haole

Vendor
Oct 15, 2003
US
My mother recently gave me my father's Dell Latitude CPi R Series laptop computer after he passed away. When I power up the unit it asks for a password which neither I nor my mother know. I've explained the problem to Dell Customer Service and they won't help me because I don't have my father's original purchase invoice. The unit is a Pentium 2 in good condition. Can anyone help me make this unit usable?

haole

If you are comfortable with taking it apart, you can remove the CMOS battery and boot the machine. It will reset all the BIOS settings and allow you in. (This is how it is done on most machines, I am assuming it will work for you.)

When you put the battery back in, you may have to reconfigure the BIOS settings.

When you open the case, you void the warranty, but it sounds like Dell isn't being very helpful anyway.

Sorry to hear about your father.
Brian

One thing about removing the battery, in most laptops, the battery is soldered to the board...

Blue [dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

This turned up in a google search. Not something I've done, risks are yours.

drdebit

Docdebit,

I am not in need of this info personally now - and hope I never am! - but that was a great find - very interesting!!!

(A star for you!)
Lazer

Reply to docdebit: Mahalo for your help - will let you know the results!

haole

Before you get nutty with the screwdriver, it's probably worth the minimal effort to check whether it's a hard drive password as opposed to a BIOS password. The ATA specs include two passwords for the hard drive. The master password, which is not configurable by the end user, defaults to 32 spaces. Dell is one of the OEMs that does not change this. Unless the default security level for the hard drive was changed to maximum, 32 spaces will override any HDD password the user set and get you in. It's tedious pressing one key that many time and it's easy to miscount, but it's cool when it works. If it doesn't, then it's time to bust out the screwdriver.

Cheers,

Missy

Dismantling a notebook is a risky affair even for seasoned "pros." Notbooks are a lot more suseptible to static discharge as well as fumbling screwdrivers, etc. And because they are so compact in design, they don't always go back together as easily as they come apart.

Therefore, if I were in your shoes, I would take it to a local computer shop and let them do it. Shouldn't cost you more than $25 to $50. Check around first.

Taking off the battery may not be necessary. There may be a little bitty dip switch or jumper pin that is simply removed before the next restart.

Aloha! To all who responded, thanks for your tips. System is now usable again!

Haloe,

Please tell us which method you used to slap your computer back into shape!

Lazer

Response to All: The instructions provided by docdebit in the "gasimtoep" link work like a charm! Dismantling the unit and bridging the two leads on the chip are very easy. Toughest part was ensuring you have the correct chip identified since it and the wording on it is so small. But, if I could do it, anyone can!

Thank you for the stars. I appreciate your kindness and I'm glad I could help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back