Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell laptop Inspiron won't boot up xp home 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jujet84

Technical User
Sep 18, 2001
CA
Dell laptop Inspiron 6400 will not boot up screen is showing
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt;
<Windows root>systeem32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.
She has no recovery cd
How do I proceed on this problem

I think you could try locating this file on a working copy of XP which has the same SP level.

Copy it to a bootable CD or floppy.

Boot the dead PC with the CD/floppy.

Copy the file to the proper location.

BartPE can help you build the boot CD

-- Jason
"It's Just Ones and Zeros

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm thinking since it's a Dell will installing the hal.dll from another disk affect the hidden partitions by not using a Dell restore disk.
I know that I can get into image default and return it to it's factory install,but that's the last straw.

As far as I know the hal is not specific to the hardware manufacturer, etc. Only to the OS version and SP levels.

Using my suggestion you could always rename the existing hal.dll to hal.old before proceeding. But really...what do you have to lose? So far you can't boot into XP anyway.

-- Jason

Well I did as you suggested but no go.CD start's up but screen quickly reverts back to corrupt hal.dll

Only to the OS version and SP levels.
not quite, HAL.DLL also differentiates between CPU types (HT, dual cores, single cores, quad cores)...

but that is usually not the problem!!!

the problem is related to corrupt boot files...

use an XP CD to boot up the computer, and boot into the RECOVERY CONSOLE once there and logged onto the installed system, type:

FIXBOOT

then FIXMBR

then CHKDSK /F

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

Error message: "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem"
(the above is the same link as Wahnula's second) read it carefully...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Good point about the CPU types....I totally forgot about that.

But I took "she doesn't have a recovery CD" to mean that they don't have an XP CD at all. Thus my sugesstion to use BartPE to attempt the recovery. They could/can run fixboot from within BartPE

-- Jason

HELP! missing hal.dll, no access to root
thread779-752222

326246 - How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

See if you can borrow an XP CD and load the Recovery Console. Get this loaded and Run ChkDsk /r to fix any errors on your drive. If you can't access a CD see the later articles.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

310994 - Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks

You will have some access if you can load the XP Recovery Console onto the machine.

You may have to download files from Microsoft to put onto Floppies to achieve this if you have no CD.

310994 - Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks

Once you have the Recovery Console loaded you may proceed with this fix for your original error message.

Error Message Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.

330184 - "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows Could Not Start" Error Messages When You Start Your Computer
Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware Configuration Problem

The following two paragraphs are quoted from -

"NTLDR clears the screen and prints its version information: OSLOADER V4.0. The first two files that NTLDR loads make up NT's core: ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll. Both files are located in the <winnt>\system32 directory. Ntoskrnl.exe contains the Kernel and Executive subsystems (e.g., Memory Manager, Cache Manager, Object Manager), and hal.dll contains code that interfaces NT to the computer hardware. Hardware abstraction layers (HALs) can provide interfaces to proprietary hardware, so Microsoft makes it possible for OEMs to supply custom HAL files. If NTLDR fails to load either of these files, it prints the message Windows NT could not start because the following file was missing or corrupt, followed by the name of the file.

Now the user has the option to select the Last Known Good configuration by pressing the spacebar (or via Safe Mode screen and F8). After a successful boot completes, NT makes a copy of the Registry tree that contains static and dynamic system and driver configuration information, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet, and marks it as the Last Known Good configuration. Because device drivers load based on information under the Services Registry key, this key is especially crucial. If a driver installs and at the next reboot prevents the system from starting, when the user selects the Last Known Good configuration, NT reverts to using the copy of the Registry tree that existed before the driver installed. Because the good copy does not include commands to load the driver, a boot using that copy will likely succeed."

315222 - A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

From this site -

BOOTIT NG

"If the BOOT.INI file does not point to the correct boot entry for Windows XP, you will get an error stating that Hal.Dll is missing . Simply correct the partition(x) entry in the BOOT.INI file or reorder the partitions in the MBR Details section of the boot item configuration."

A lot of info and ideas to be found there.

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Have a look under "H" for Hal at this site too.

Irregular XP Tips Series: Missing HAL.DLL or boot files
thread779-1280340

Update--Well first of all thanks for all the suggestions but it was a no go.You nane it I tryed it.
I finaly decided to use Live-Ubuntu to see the boot.ini file
It's showing as follows

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)Windows
[operatingssytem]
multi[0]disk[0]rdisk[0]partition[2]\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Question shouldn't it be showing partion 1
If so how do I change this---- I don't think I can do it in Ununtu rite?

on a single drive system, where XP is on the first partition (usually C:) then yes, the partition should reflect (1)...

the BOOT.INI file can be edited with Ubuntu, if NTFS3g is the FileSystem driver in use for reading/writing NTFS... basically you can try it...

but the FIXBOOT command I mentioned above, within the Recovery Console, should have taken care of it!

Ben

It (boot.ini) should point to the partition which contains the Windows system files.

I don't know if Ubuntu can edit the boot.ini file or not, any editor of text files which can work outside of the Windows environment probably can allow you to change the text of the file. Similarly any program which can delete the boot.ini file and allow you to insert a newly created boot.ini file would be an option.

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses (Q291980)

This following article only applies from within Windows.

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP (Q289022)

ooops, my bad, thanks Linney you cleared up my head, the FIXBOOT command is for FAT32 and the BOOTCFG is for NTFS...

explained here:

Error message in Windows XP SP2: “Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt. Windows\System32\Hal.dll”

and this could be the cause for it:

Changing Active Partition Can Make Your System Unbootable

Ben

Ben,

"FIXBOOT command is for FAT32", that doesn't seem right, just confusing from Microsoft, when reading your link and then this next link?

"FIXBOOT
fixboot drive name:
Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system partition. In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot sector. This command overrides the default setting, which writes to the system boot partition. ***********The fixboot command is supported only on x86-based computers"***********.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

Linney,

I must admit, I haven't used them in ages, so I am not up to par as to what does what, and have to rely on what MS tells me at times...

I just reread the article, and I admit, I am confused (better said not all to clear wording there by MicroSoft) but I retract my statement that it is for FAT32 only... thanks for correcting me there and for the missed BOOTCFG command...

Ben

Update---finally success----solved my problem.How upon further research I came across this site
I can't thank him enough.

listed in the above index "Troubleshooting the Restore Process"

Here I found the solution to my problem.
Yes it involves a lot of reading but following instructions,making my cd boot disk I was able to see where my problem was.
Mine being that the boot code did not match Dell's mbr v3
Bby folowing directions and applying the fix I'm now able to gain access to Dell's restore image.Hope this helps others who have had the same problem.Again thanks for your info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back