Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Laptop Hard drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baltic00

Technical User
Jul 28, 2003
GB
Need help in finding a way to connect a laptop hard drive to a desktop PC so that i can retrieve data from it

I have seen a nice external enclosure that runs on usb made of aluminum. It ran about $40 at a computer show. Get one of those and plug it into usb port for access.

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

For 10 bucks or so you can get an adapter to connect the 2.5" drive to a desktop IDE cable. Just ask local comp store for a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

If you have no plans to replace the harddrive in the laptop something like laplink and a laplink cable would permit transfer of data between parallel or serial ports and would require no disassembly work in either machine.

Yeah, get a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter. You can also get 3.5" to 5.25" adapters if you need to get a new hard drive or 3.5" floppy drive, but you only have 5.25" bays left.

(Comon, what kind of PC manufacturer would give you more 5.25" bays than 3.5" inch bays?.....well mine did...grrr)

Thanks to all, who answered, problem now solved.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back