Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop Dead as a door nail

Status
Not open for further replies.

SysRed

Technical User
Dec 11, 2005
ES
Hi All,

I'm not sure what if anything can be done here. I have been given (to work on) the above laptop. The client stated that it was taking over half an hour to start and would do nothing once it had started. Well, when i get it it does nothing, and i mean nothing, there is no evidence of any power no LEDS's nothing. I have tried a different PSU from another DELL laptop and the PSU from the offending laptop does not charge my other laptop, although the led on the charge unit lights up. I have spoken to the client and she states it has always started but recently all it has done is displayed her 'picture' i guess she means her wallpaper, no icons nothing and will do nothing other than that. The only way it can be turned off was to hold the power button down until it turned off.

I have checked the usual, i.e. removed battery, memory, HD. I can strip it if needed, but i would rather not. Even if the MB has fried, you should get some evidence of power shouldn't you?

Any advise would be great thanks.

I have checked the usual, i.e. removed battery, memory, HD. I can strip it if needed, but i would rather not. Even if the MB has fried, you should get some evidence of power shouldn't you?
No, not really. It would depend upon which part of the motherboard was bad.

If the system is dead AND the AC adapter is dead, then it sounds to me like it's an electrical issue. It could be that some voltage spike came through and fried everything. The only way to full test that would be to replace the motherboard AND the AC adapter. And of course, it could be the DC jack which is a pretty common bad part on systems... but I don't think it's JUST the DC jack.

First, I'd say this laptop isn't worth the effort. The replacement part(s) necessary and the time of figuring it out just is not worth an older laptop. At the least you're looking at replacing the motherboard, it sounds like. And it doesn't sound like it's ONLY a power issue at the DC jack.

It sounds to me like it's some electrical problem on the AC adapter and the motherboard. But it also sounds like there's an issue with the CPU, Ram, and/or hard drive. The only way to test each of those, obviously will be in another system. Any of those could cause the system to act that way. If the CPU was overheating, or if the RAM got some bad spots in it, or if the hard drive got damaged from the slightest nudge.

You MIGHT could find a used one "for parts" on eBay or Craigslist or somewhere on the cheap, and then try to swap parts between them, but I saw where at least one website had a refurb one for $270 (out of stock), so I'd not think it worth investing a whole lot of effort there. If the person can afford it, it's probably time to just try to recover the data - if you can get the hard drive to be recognized on another system, and buy a new system.

Hi KJV, thanks for the info, believe it or not the problem was a dodgy on/off switch, if i applied 400LB of pressure on the switch it worked, ok slight exaggeration but you get the picture.

Now that you have put that much pressure on the power switch - the motherboard is probably cracked (kidding).

Now it depends on the repair cost/ease of replacing the power switch.

Hmm, you know, you may be able to find a replacement laptop casing, including the power button portion on ebay for cheap. You'd learn something in the experience if you've never pulled a laptop apart, but getting the whole casing, or at least the part where the power button is, may help in case you end up finding another issue, or CAUSING another issue along the way.

One tip - if you do pull the thing apart, make sure you've got it on a flat clean surface, where you can see any screws you drop... try not to drop them on the floor. Laptop screws are a real pain to find.

I have a nice big old CB radio magmount which helps if you're unlucky enough to drop tiny bolts on the carpet. [smile]

It could be that the on/off switch has partially come away from the circuit board, and a quick resolder job will restore the status quo.

Good luck with it...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

The power switch (that you push) may not even be connected to the mobo. It might just be on a little trim panel which then has a cable running to the motherboard and connecting there.

In that case, you just buy the little panel which often includes the cable and you're good as new - no soldering on the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back