Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Inspiron 5000e V. dark screen 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithinuk

Technical User
May 14, 2002
GB
A couple of days ago I switched on and the screen on my laptop appeared to be black. Fans, CD, HDD all functioned as normal. I suddenly realised that the screen wasn't black just very dark as if somebody had turned down brightness and contrast. If I shine a strong light on the screen I can see everything a bit better. After digging around I read that some LCDs are backlit. Is this likely to be my problem ???? If so, is it possible to replace the back light ????
I haven't yet tried plugging in an external monitor but I don't know if that would prove anything anyway.
Any advice please ????????
Whatever the outcome, does anybody know where I can buy cheapish replacement parts ?????
Is anybody breaking an Inspiron 5000e ??????

Dell part no. is 4889T.

Thank you in advance
Keith

In case I forget to say 'Thank you' I'll say it now - thank you for your help !!!

If you can see the pixels when you use a strong light, then it is a backlight problem. All the notebooks use backlights.

Now a backlight problem may mean a dead light, but many TFT now use two lights so it is not probable that both broke, unless yours only uses one. It can be the inverter module that died. And it can also be the cables between the inverter and the motherboard that got damaged, as all the cables are going through the hinge.

So you have the buzzwords for googling: CCFT, cold cathode tube, TFT, inverter. If you are ready to open the laptop (you'll have to, anyways), you can also find the part numbers of the TFT and of the inverter. Some places do sell such parts over the net.

Think I'll check the cable and inverter first. :):):)

Less money that the LCD.

Thanks a lot
Keith

In case I forget to say 'Thank you' I'll say it now - thank you for your help !!!

there should be a little button somewhere that gets depressed when you shut the lid on the laptop. This makes the screen go extremely dark for powersaving, make sure that it is not jammed down as i had exactly the same problem...

Hope this helps

I forgot to post the resolution !!!!!!!!!

It was the ribbon cable from TFT to mother-board. When I compared it to the new one it was kn*****ed.

Fixed in a jiffy after all that messing around :):):)

Thanks one and all.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back