Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Inspiron 15R upgrade from Windows 8.1 to 10, BSODs with AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbarnett

Programmer
Jul 20, 2001
GB
I tried to update my dad's laptop today from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Its a Dell Inspiron 15R, and is listed as compatible from Dell. The upgrade seemed to go well, but once I started testing I kept getting Kernel panic messages noting AUTO_BOOST_LOCK_ACQUISITION_WITH_INCREASED_IRQL.
On searching for the cause, most seemed to indicate it was network/bluetooth related, so I tried safe mode as that doesn't load networking. This did enable me to use the laptop, but that was not a satisfactory long term solution, so I reverted it to Windows 8.1. to at least get it back to a usable state.

After doing that, I ran the Dell driver detector and it found an outdated chipset and SATA storage drivers, plus a BIOS, all of which have now been upgraded.

Questions/points:
1. Has anybody else tried upgrading this model of laptop successfully, and if so what level of BIOS/chipset drivers were you using?
2. Its become evident to me today that those of us used to troubleshooting using the old ways of getting into safe mode/recovery console etc have changed with Windows 10, so there is a learning curve there for those doing that. I was quite surprised with this and was lucky I had an alternative internet connected computer available to google the problem when my old tried and tested methods didn't work.

John

I have 2 Dell Inspiron 15 laptops. After upgrading one to Windows 10 just to see what Windows 10 was all about I had nothing but problems. At the time (2 months ago) all the information I could find indicated that Windows 10 wouldn't run on the Dell because of incompatible drivers and according to the Dell website, they weren't going to updated the drivers for the Dell 15R because of its age. Last month the I found a Microsoft list that listed the Dell 15R Inspiron was not compatible with Windows 10.
Mel

Mel,
Could you post a link to that MS list please?

John

Thank you. My dad's laptop is an Inspiron 5537, which is on that list as supported, so I would have expected it to work. Its very surprising.

John

You could try asking on the Dell website forums. They have suggested 'work arounds' for me in the past...
Mel

My wife has a 15R (an N5110) which I'm thinking of upgrading before there is a price to pay. But it isn't listed on Dell's list, and the GWX tool says the upgrade is not compatible with the BIOS. I am tols, however, that a BIOS upgrade should solve this - but your experience is not encouraging ...

I have a Dell 15R (N5110), it is the laptop that originally listed as "Good for Windows 10". I did an image backup of the hard disk and then verified I had the most current BIOS and the most current device drivers installed. Then I let the Windows 10 upgrade install. After the install, the web cam no longer worked, the dvd could not recognize a dvd but could see a cd. About 40% of the time it could not boot properly and I would have to hit the power button to restart. I tried a few suggestions about different drivers. Another person I know had the same laptop and tried some kind of a BIOS modification he found on the Dell website. That resulted in a "Dell 15R Brick". After contacting Dell.com, he sent it in to the repair facility and hasn't got it back yet. I reformatted my hard drive and restored my image backup of Windows 7. I don't know which BIOS upgrade you are looking at but best of luck...
Mel

>I don't know which BIOS upgrade you are looking at

A11. User reports seem mixed. For every person saying their machine with Windows 10 didn't work with the BIOS upgrade there are others that say it works fine.

I think I'm happy to give it a go, and revert if it plays up. And then consider buying a new laptop ...

>restored my image backup of Windows 7
Waited longer than 30 days, eh, so couldn't use the built-in reversion feature?

>>restored my image backup of Windows 7
>Waited longer than 30 days, eh, so couldn't use the built-in reversion feature?

When I tried to use Microsoft's reversion program, it reported an error saying it couldn't find the files to revert to previous version. Microsoft Knowledgebase recommended running a vbscript to correct the problem. After running the vbscript I got an error saying previous version of Windows incompatible with Windows 10 and to contact the hardware manufacturer. Dell eventually sent me a set of Windows 7 and Device Driver cds to reinstall Windows 7 but they were useless.

Actually, now I am happy running LinuxMint 18 on the Dell 15R and won't go back to Windows 7.
Mel

Well, I know it won't really help anyone, but my upgrade path worked almost perfectly.

Updated the BIOS
Waited for GWX to spot the update and recheck compatibility, eventually admitting it was now compatible
Ran upgrade
W10 Explorer entered spiral of death, constantly crashing and restarting, and unusable.
Used Task Manager to run event viewer and identified IDT Advanced Audio driver as the problem
Used task manager to run control panel so I could completely remove IDT software
Reboot
Result: Fully working W10 upgrade on Inspiron 15R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back