Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Dimension 4600 with flashing amber light

Status
Not open for further replies.

vogue1

Programmer
Nov 13, 2004
US
My sisters bought my mother a Dell Dimension 4600 for Xmas, 2003. Unfortunately, the system is just out of the warranty time.

The amber light on the tower is flashing. I called Dell on behalf of my mom(she is up in years) and found out from the tech the following :

It is about a 90% chance that the problem is a power supply and/or motherboard.

I am curious how others would handle this. I did send Dell an email complaining about the timing of this. Right after the warranty date. My sisters have bought many Dells in the past and will I am sure not do so anymore.

Should I maybe buy the least expensive item(power supply?) first and try that? I mean, should I be able to do this? I have swapped memory and put in modems. That is about it. Or maybe just go to a tech shop?

Any help, appreciated.
Thanks.

I would try replacing the power supply first if their techies claim it is the likely problem. They are relatively easy to replace and cheap ($20-30 in my neighborhood). If you are in doubt about the power supply you need, remove it and take it to a local clone store.

Dell offers at time of sale an extended warranty. If you did not take advantage of this, then it is an unfortunate coincidence.

I feel your pain. It has happened to me with several purchases, computer and otherwise. Do not ask me about the turbocharger on my Volvo convertible.

Wish I had a Volvo convertible! All I have to "play" with is a 1966 Plymouth (full race 383 c.i. - 425 horse power).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back