Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell D610 - Power Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khosher

Technical User
Dec 4, 2005
IE
Hi Guys,

I have a Dell D610. I start having issues with powering on the system. Sometimes I could be pressing the power button for up to 30 mins before it starts, sometimes I wont even start. Howerver, eventually it will turn on but could take quite a while. I ordered a replacement (brand new) power button and fitted it. This has made now difference. Can anyone advise me if they have expeienced the same issue and what the best thing for me to do would be.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

The PSU may have problems starting up. If you can borrow or get another PSU to test it would help rule it out as a possibility.

If it boots immediately with the new PSU, then ts very likely that's the culprit.
Your other option is to look closely at the motherboard for bulging capacitors or any discoloration on the board that may suggest a short, or problems holding a charge.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Vacunita, hit the nail right on the head...

it does sound like a flaky PSU, and my bet is on that item, rather than the mainboard, but it can not hurt to check it while you try the (known good) PSU...

Here is a reference for the bulging leaking capacitors:

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

It's a laptop - what do you mean by Power Supply being the problem if it's a laptop???

I think we need to reset.

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes its a laptop. Problem happens both on mains and on battery. One thing to note is my battery is nearly end of life. Could that be the cause of the issue ?

Not if it's plugged into a good/functioning AC adapter - the battery should be irrelevant. But to eliminate the battery, you could remove it for the testing.

So, you ordered and installed a piece like this???

Did it include the little ribbon cable?? If it DIDN'T include the ribbon cable, that could be the issue.

Sorry, never realized it was a laptop. Didn't think to look for the model number to check what kind of PC it was.

Anyway, there may be a problem in the power connection between the motherboard and the AC adapter/battery.

It could still be some type of short on the circuitry though, or some capacitor that's having a hard time getting and holding a charge.

Since this is a laptop, it makes it harder to check, but if the change in power button didn't help, and you also changed the ribbon cable to and from the power button, I would venture its a deeper motherboard issue, which would require disassemble of the laptop to get to the MB and check every thing for any signs of a short, or burnout.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Well, you would know it's NOT the AC adapter jack in the back IF the battery is charging up on a regular basis. Rule that out first.

If the laptop then won't power on with (only) a charged battery to power it, it has to be somewhere on the motherboard.

It gets tricky to justify a professional diagnosis then possible repair on a laptop that's not worth too much.

In my area, people on Craig's List (take it for what it's worth) are charging $75 for a DC jack replacement. If that included diagnosis, that wouldn't be too bad. Any more than that and I wouldn't tell you to have it repaired.

On Ebay, those machine are selling for around $150, so you can do the math - you're very marginal getting it repaired.

Thanks,

i am considering a new machine. Just didn't want to have to shell out if it wasn't required.

I'll open the unit up and checl the caps.

D610's are like 5-6 years old?
Time to trade up. You are gonna spend too much time and money fo rth eworth IMO.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I opened up the unit, but everything looked fine. So I just took the bullet and ordered a new machine. I still have the other one powered on so I can get everything off it.

Thanks again.

Sell it for parts now that it's been retired. By the way - bump of old thread for no real reason robmazco.

Laptops are very finicky. It could be a loose connection, a bad ground or one of the circuit boards inside the laptop. Then there are all those ribbon connections that can go bad. If you still have a warranty use it. It is difficult to determine if a laptop should be replaced or whether it can be fixed. With the price of batteries, it can be more cost effective to replace the laptop. Depends if you think it is worth fixing. If it is you might want to take it to good repair facility experienced in fixing laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back