Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Computer Parts Compitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

programingnoob

Technical User
Dec 31, 2002
CA
Are Dell computers competitable with other brands of DIY parts? (intel competitable)

I got a Dell P2, and not sure if I should buy other brand's parts to replace some stuff in there. (Harddrive, ram, so on...) I know that some parts doesn't work with that processor, but except for that is it just as competiable as other brands?

From what i have read and heard, apparently all or some of the new dell computers are using all standard parts, but if you have a pentium 2 Dell computer then chances are that your power supply and motherboard are proprietary. That means you cant put any other power supply in this unit, you have to get a new one from Dell or PC Power company. Same with the motherboard, you must buy a replacement motherboard thru Dell only. The reason is that the wiring is different from standard wiring for the power supply and mobo.
However, all other parts are standard. A cpu is a cpu and a maxtor hard drive is a maxtor hard drive, Dell hasnt screwed them up yet.
So you can replace or upgrade anything you want except the power supply or motherboard. Of course, if its a P2, you may want to get the latest bios if you want to install a larger hard drive, to make sure the hard drive will be recognized.
I have never owned a Dell, i always build my own computers but i do believe i am correct in the info i have given you.

Does that answer your questions?

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

You're very welcome.
Again, the only thing you have to be concerned about is the power supply and the motherboard.
And again, perhaps a bios upgrade if needed, that is, if you install a larger hard drive and the bios wont see the full size of the hard drive, then you would have to go to Dells website and download and install the latest bios there. Maybe you or someone already did, so you would have to look at bootup and see the name of the bios there, the version, all the big long numbers and the date of it, see how it compares with any bios that is listed at dell website for this computer. But only do that if you really need to!
Good luck, and any help you need, this is the place. These people here have to be the best in the world and i really mean that. On top of them having so much knowledge, they are polite as well, something you dont see on other forums!
You are in the right place for sure.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back