Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell clocks lose time

Status
Not open for further replies.

BYarn

MIS
Jul 20, 1999
US
I have 3 Dells (different models were from time to time (no pattern) they loose time although they are running. There is no pattern. They can go for a while and be ok, and then lose some time, then ok, etc... Usage or lack of is not an issue. No problems at boot so its not a typical battery or MB problem
Any ideas>>

If the systems are on a network, you may want to try disconnecting one of them to see if the problem goes away. I've seen systems that synchronize their clock to the server time and therefore may be different that the machines around them.

Sean

Dell is using motherboards that strain the batteries and slow the clock down. Gateway also uses the same boards in some of their models. You can try flashing the BIOS, but they resolution is putting a brand new battery in it often.

Also, power management and screen savers can also screw with your clock.

The only way a network config would alter it is if it is set to sync with the server. Servers sync with servers, but workstations don't always do that. It depends on the config, normally a script assisted logon will sync the clock. Again, depends on config.

The two techies above me are correct in their assumptions. I just wish to let you in on another common cuase of this problem. Norton (Symnatec) i.e. Anitvirus, System Works, etc. all can cause this problem and the fix can be found on their site. Hope this helps, Master Frodo... :)

There is also another possibility. The crystal used by the battery to keep time can only be cut with a minimal amount of accuracy. The battery is set so that it runs with precision between certain acceptable voltages....ruling out the battery as the problem. The slight variations of the crystal causes system clock to sometimes run a little fast, or sometimes a little slow. My friend has a Dell Laptop which runs fast, losing minutes each day. Theoretically the only way to fix this problem is to replace the crystal(the question is if its possible, or practical).

no, no, no.....Are you running Norton Antivirus??? the problem is that Norton causes system to lose time. Norton says that the fix is to run live update and will fix
hope that this helps

Davidianmage

We use IBM PCs ONLY and have also experienced this same problem.

This is a problem that affects clones and major brands alike, and there's no hard-and-fast rule about what causes it.

Atomtime can be set to run at scheduled intervals to update the system clock. Naviscope will also connect to a time server and update you, and has an added benefit of eliminating those pesky ad banners. There are a few freeware solutions out there that aren't very elegant but will set the system clock for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back