Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell AXIM Backup Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSki

Programmer
Dec 13, 2000
US
I seem to be having an unusual problem with the AXIM's backup battery. I thought it had completely run out so I replaced it. But now I notice one moment it will be 100% and the next it will drop to 0% and I get the low battery alert. I have tried 3 different batteries, cleaned the posts and batteries, with no luck. Anyone else had this problem?

Mitch Duszynski
Web Developer
Human Kinetics
PO Box 5076, Champaign, IL 61825
Tel: 217-351-5076 x2474 | Fax: 217-351-2674
mitchd@hkusa.com |

I have an Axim and have had no problems. It sounds like you have a loose connection inside the unit. Try contacting Dell support. If its under warrenty, get it replaced.

The problem is with the plate that holds the battery, if you can press down on backup battery plate it will cause the battery to lose contact. Just call Dell and tell them you need a replacement plate that holds the backup battery.

I was having a similar problem. It wasn't the plate, it was the software. Check your settings and see what ROM version you are running. You should be running A05. There were apparently many glitches with previous ROM versions.

Go to the Dell site, and download the appropriate ROM version if this is the case.

I spent nearly an hour on the phone with Dell because my seven (yes I have 7 Axims)were all having backup battery issues. After much discussion, I learned that the B/U battery is the source of power when the main battery is low (not just dead), the B/U helps provide power to some functionality of the PC. I have only let my MAIN battery get low a couple of times (but it was over a weekend) so the B/U had to kick in thus draining it.

Hope this helps....

Scott

Now if I could just fine where to download the bew BIOS on the DELL site. When I log in all I can get is info on a Latitude I no longer have. And when I try to search for AXIM X5 stuff, it does not turn out either. Where would I find it?

Mitch Duszynski
Web Developer
Human Kinetics
PO Box 5076, Champaign, IL 61825
Tel: 217-351-5076 x2474 | Fax: 217-351-2674
mitchd@hkusa.com |

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back