Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell Axim align screen issue.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
I have a Dell Axim X5 that when you power it on it continually recycles through the align screen section. You can go through the process and it just starts over. I have reset, removed batteries. Any suggestions?

James Collins
Systems Analyst
A+, MCP, MCSA, Network+

That sounds very weird. The 'align screen' thing is actually a little application called welcome.exe that runs when you first start after a hard reset. Does it actually complete properly and re-launch itself, or does it just not exit?

If you're still have the same problem after removing the batteries I'd send it back for repairs.

Nelviticus

I cant send it back. It is past its warranty. Yes, it just continuously re-launches itself, over and over......

James Collins
Systems Analyst
A+, MCP, MCSA, Network+

Hmm, tricky ... does it sync to your PC when you connect it up? As in, are you still able to browse 'Mobile Device' from Windows Explorer when the PDA is connected? If so you could try moving or deleting 'welcome.exe' that resides in the PDA's 'Windows' folder.

If that doesn't work and you don't want to pay Dell to repair it out of warranty, the only thing I can think of is trying to edit the registry with some developer tools. I know that there's a remote registry editor that comes with the embedded versions Visual Basic and Visual C++ which you can download from Microsoft here. Apparently there's also a remote registry editor with Visual Studio .Net 2002 and 2003, but I'm damned if I can find it!

Personally I'd ask Dell how much they'll charge to fix it.

Regards

Nelviticus

I had the same problem with an Axim X3. After 1 hour on the phone with Dell, they ended up exchanging it (I was lucky that it was still under warranty).
The replacement unit did the same thing within 2 weeks. i am now on my third unit (6 weeks and counting)

I found the issue. It is a problem with the touch screen sensitivity. It is a bad screen. Since it is not under warranty it is pretty much poodoo.

Thanks for all your assistance fellow members.

James Collins
Systems Analyst
A+, MCP, MCSA, Network+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back