Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell 715N NAS Server Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashX1

IS-IT--Management
Apr 11, 2001
US
My company is considering buying one of these. I understand due to certain licensing restrictions for this server you are not supposed to install Exchange, Sql, DHCP, DNS, etc... I am wondering is the Windows 2000 OS that ships altered in any way? Or is it just kind of a licensing agreement not to use the NAS for certain activities. I specifically need to know if I can configure ODBC in the control panel still. But what is to stop me from doing whatever I want on this server if I wanted to?

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, this is a custom version of Windows2000. Microsoft has created a package that allows OEM's to do this.
When you get the server, you don't get a standard Windows License as you do with any other server. As far as configuring ODBC, I don't understand why. If you buy this NAS box, you should use it as a NAS only box and not have it perform double duty as an Application server also.

If you are looking for a cheap application server, look at the 1650 or the SC series of tower servers.

Thanks for the reply. It is going to be a FTP server for our customers. We will be running a VB app that moves the customers data to the correct directory. It will also have an odbc connector and .mdb file. Access will not be on the server.

We want a NAS server because you get so much storage for so little money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back