Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell 4550 can't find memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJM1234

Programmer
Jan 5, 2003
US
Hi

I reseated my memory, the computer booted and worked for a while. I had to reboot and now I get 6 beeps or a series of 2 three beeps and the computer does not boot or have any video. The lights on the back of the computer are GYYY On the Dell website the lights GYYY means that the computer can't find memory. I replaced the memory still the computer will not boot. Is the mobo shot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

What was the reason for reseating your RAM? Maintenance or a troubleshooting step? I ran into a forum on the Web where the (similar) problem PC was fixed by removing the battery and clearing CMOS. Give that a try.

Tony

Users helping Users...

3 Beeps usually indicate, as you already noticed, RAM missing or GFX-card missing...

Suggestion:

1.) as Tony pointed out, try taking the battery out for a few minutes, clearing CMOS, place the battery back into the PC and then boot...

2.) reseat the RAM once more, use a stick at a time...

3.) reseat the GFX-Card...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

You say you replaced the memory... Did you use memory certified by DELL? I've seen perfectly good memory that worked fine in other boxes not even be detected in DELLs. This is due to the fact that they have proprietary motherboards and power supplies.

When you first reseated the memory were you properly grounded to prevent static build up? Not all zaps destroy electronics immediately.

I'd follow Ben's/Tony's suggestions along with trying memory that you know works from another DELL box.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a veteran!

Thanks for your help, however, nothing so far. One thing that I noticed yesterday, the computer beeps without being turned on. As soon as I connect the power cord to the power supply it starts to beep. Could it be the power supply or the power switch? All the fans run and it seems like the hard drive also powers up. Just no video, the six beeps and the GYYY lights on in the back of the machine. Again, thanks for your help. Someone at work is going to lend me their power supply from his Dell machine. The power supply has 20 pins on one cable and a 4 wire pin. A different computer that I once worked on had all the fans working and didn't boot up. Replacing the power supply got the computer to work.

It is worth a try, to replace the PSU...

One thing that I noticed yesterday, the computer beeps without being turned on. As soon as I connect the power cord to the power supply it starts to beep.
this is normal, the CMOS setting for power loss is probably set to either LAST STATE or POWER-ON...

and if the PSU change did nothing, then change the gfx card...

Ben

I tried two other graphics cards and get beeping. I tried a different Dell power supply and nothing happened. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Harvey

If the PSU is known to be good, then that is not the problem... same with the gfx cards...

have a look here for more information on the beep codes.
The Dells beep codes:

and have you checked Dell Support Website for information aswell... (sorry, I am not familiar with troubleshooting Dells, just non-OEM troubleshooting and that can be different from proprietary systems)...

Dell Support

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back