Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dell 3448 Switches and QOS for IPO 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanWitthoft

Technical User
Feb 27, 2009
US
I have noticed quite a few jitter issues in system status lately and was going to attempt to setup some qos on our dell switches. We are a relatively small shop and I have the voice network segmented off from the data network and not using vlans at this time. Anyone have a switch config to set this up? I have heard that it will not make that much of a difference considering the traffic is not traversing a router but thought it would be a shot.

On Dell switches, we normally set general port with Vlan with Ip phone tagged while pc nontagged . We also map IP phone DSCP to hardware queue 3 or 4 . Pretty straight forward .

We do not utilize VLANS and also not connecting PC through the phones. I was just wondering the settings for QOS.

QOS shouldn't be an issue even if you have all 48 phones going at once on the 3448 and no data on the switch. could be some sort of broadcast storm on your switch or even a single bad phone. i would check the stats on the switch and drill down to each port. also check the port the ip500 is on (10/100, half/full). we run a lot of 3448P's and leave the ip500 port to auto.

That is what I am trying to figure out. I know maybe 10 phones at once and I already checked the duplex/speed issue(was fine). I have also read that the system status is not that accurate.

telnet/ssh into the switch and copy/paste the "show run" here.

telnet/ssh into the switch and copy/paste the "show run" here.

Two words, USE VLANS. Otherwise go digital.

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged (Avaya Search tool )

This is essentially using VLANs in this configuration. So I am not sure how VLANs would help anything! I am just going to point the issue at system status is bad reporting. If I had that bad jitter on some of my conversations they would not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back